Sunday, December 6, 2009

Do you accessorise your bag?

I don't (heck!  I don't even accessorise my person).  I was posted with this challenge recently when I made this huge-a** bag.  See this canvas?

And this...

When you have a fabric with a design so intricate and whimsical, it only means one thing for the bag design.  BIG and simple.

So, I made this.

Simon says, Simon does.  This big and simple bag caused great excitement in my household.  It was the biggest bag I have ever made and I am amazed that it didn't come out all floppy (in both senses of the word).  See the red fabric sticking out at the top?  It's a cushion.  I could fit a whole cushion in this bag and there's still room to spare.  I am so bringing this for my overseas shopping holidays.

Anyway, I digress.  The point here is, when a bag is so big, it starts to look plain, however nice the fabric design.  So, I tried to spice things up a bit.  I'm not very imaginative, so I'll need your help here.


I started with brooches.

Been there, done that.  How about a scarf?  It seems to be a recent trend.




Too disco-era?


Actually, the scarf serves multi-purposes.  I tied it around the handles and this secures the bag.  And when I'll feeling cold, I'll use it on myself.


I know, how about this?

This pretty handmade owl brooch, kindly lent to me by EH, seems to be the perfect adornment for this bag.
 
I know some of you may also be wondering about those lovely appliques which we had for our Mushroom and Purple Bear reversible totes (here). Can consider.


Actually, maybe I shouldn't fuss so much about accessorising this bag.  At the end of the day, this is how most Singapore women "decorate" their bags.
 


This bag measures 15"(H) X 20"(W) X 5"(D) and sells for S$35.

4 comments:

  1. This is huge! Looks like a good size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it big enough for a labtop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you need inspiration ...
    came across 2 interesting shops recently:

    - a shop on the 1st floor at Holland Shopping Centre (the annex with Bread Talk and Yakun) sells stuff (bags, mini handphone bags, tissue pouches, mirror pouches, etc) made with kimono fabric.

    - a shop on the basement of Bukit Timah Shopping Centre (not sure if that's the correct name; it's the one with all the maid agencies, not the one with NTUC) which sells Asian inspired stuff from furniture to crockery to art & craft. Much like Lim's Arts & Crsfts but less commercial and more reasonably priced, with more unique designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks nicer if you had a dog instead of an owl..trixie

    ReplyDelete