Sunday, January 24, 2010

Commissioned Bags (Part 1)

We've been busy making some commissioned pieces for new and old customers.  I especially like doing commissioned pieces where the customer provides the fabric.  We get a lof of interesting fabric we otherwise would not have seen because these people tend to order from overseas.  After fondling and drooling over them for a bit, here's what I have made
Don't you love the cute Russian dolls?  These figurines are very popular designs for fabric and I've certainly seen my share of them.  But I've not seen the dolls in such huge sizes.

These are some of my favourite dolls.
 
Here's a non-traditional interpretation.

What exactly is the story behind these dolls?  Tinkerbelle shared a funny story about the dolls.  She bought a set of 8 of these dolls from Turkey, which she proudly displayed in decreasing sizes in her bathroom.  One day, she noticed that there were only 6 of them left.  She continued to monitor and true enough, one by one went missing with each passing day.  She asked her husband whether he's seen them and he sheepishly admitted that he had been putting them back into the largest doll and hoping she didn't notice.  After all, they all looked the same, so there is no need to display all of them them, he reasoned.  Sigh, you can't argue with that logic.

Another bag which had been made from fabric from my colleague was this.
Where do they get these fabric?  I enjoyed making this bag because this bag is so symbolic of KO.  As I sewed, I remembered all the lovely cupcakes (amongst many other yummies) she has so generously made for me and the rest of my colleagues over the past few years.
Don't they already make you hungry?

These customers had a great suggestion and this may become a feature of HSH's service.  They both asked if I could make a small bag for their daughters from the leftover fabric.   That made sense - after all, what else can they do with the leftover fabric since they don't sew.  Also, it seems that everytime these mommies bring home their bags, it would be "kapoked" by their daughters who want to be like mommy.  So, it also makes sense to make one just for the little girls.

So, here goes.
Oh, these bags are cute!  Especially the cupcakes one because it is quite small.  But wait, why is there another baby bag snuck in?  Ah, you just wait.  It's made from the leftovers of another commissioned bag in the making.  Yup!  Another very unique Russian doll fabric.

Now, if only I can persuade these mommies to take a photo with their daughters each carrying matching bags, wouldn't that be lovely?

P/S:  Check out my update on my post "My very own Cath Kidston bag (a proper real one)" Link  I've been spending again :) Hey, what's with these emoticons?  I seem rather fond of them today.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your effort! Mommy & daughter have a similar and nice to carry our bibles to church now! We should also get a similar outfit now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bags are really beautiful ! Thank you very much !! K used it last night for grocery shopping - wanted to take pic but she was in her PJs then :P
    will take a matching pic this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete