Sunday, November 22, 2009

Home & Decor Idea

I love to read craft blogs and I find that the world is full of people with great talent and certainly, much more leisure time than I.  One of the recurring craft ideas which featured on these blogs is the embroidery hoop frame.

Huh?  Let me show you my experiment.

This is a wall in my home library.  It has always been unadorned because my dear hubby, who isn't exactly Mr Home DIY, has refused to have any nail knocked into the wall.  Well, recently, I bought a whole lot of bamboo embroidery hoops from Spotlight, of different sizes (they were really cheap retailing at $3-$10).  The idea was to wrap my favourite fabric onto these hoops and hang them on the wall, like so.


I double-sided taped the bottom hoop and tucked the excess fabric behind.  I then stuck those 3M hooks (a small one will do as the embroidery hook and fabric are really light) on the wall and hung the hoops on them.  Tada!

While I put together all my favourite fabric to frame, I made do with these patchwork I did two years ago.  This technique is called "kaleidoscope" and making it was as difficult as it was to pronounce and spell this word.  It involved massive precision pinning (I used up a whole box of pins) and fussy cutting with the rotary cutter.  But it was great fun to twist and turn each triangle of fabric, surprising myself with the results.

This is another entirely different-looking pattern from the same fabric (the original fabric featured landscape paintings of stock and flowers).  The permutations are endless and I was hard put to choose my favourite to incorporate into the quilt I made for my parents.  Hence, these two "rejects".  


Back to the framing idea.  I did the maths and concluded that it's much cheaper than buying a regular picture frame or customising your frames.  What's more, it's a clever way of disguising more fabric purchase as home decoration.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I like the "kaleidoscope" fabric! It's effect is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful & useful home decorating idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When piecing a website together, the majority of people elect for an affordable remedy to find the thing up and running and choose to leave it as is for an indefinite period of time on Loft Conversions in London - London Elite Trades.

    ReplyDelete