Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Love Cath Kidston

Who?


Cath Kidston Ltd was founded in 1993 when designer Cath Kidston opened a tiny shop in London’s Holland Park. She began by selling the vintage fabrics, wallpapers and brightly-painted junk furniture she remembered fondly from her childhood. Her clever, witty re-working of traditional English country house style meant that her shop soon became a cult success. Gradually Cath began to design her own prints and products. One of the first was a printed ironing board cover – practical, quirky and with a distinctive floral print; it came to epitomize the Cath Kidston look. The product base has expanded steadily to include an extensive range of homewares as well as women’s fashion and accessories and the 2008 launch of the Cath Kids brand. 

I love Cath Kidston products, especially her bags.  Unfortunately, I can't afford them.  So, what did I do?  I bought her sewing book instead - it comes with a kit to made a simple CK bag.  Early this Sunday morning, crusty eyes and haywire hair notwithstanding, I followed her simple instructions and made this.

oooooooooh!  don't you think it's so lovely?  It exudes spring.  At first, I thought the bag is a tad small for an adult.  But it carries well.

It is comfortable carried slung crosswise or from the shoulder.

I loved it so much that I immediately took it out to road-test it.  I carried it to the market, to church, to the library, to the coffee house, to the supermarket and to the pet shop (yes, I do run around a bit on Sunday).  And it proved itself to be really functional.  In fact, I love this bag so much that I willingly took a few photos of me carrying it (and you all know how shy I am, ahem).


I apologise for the gritty nature of the photos.  It's not your computer screen, neither is it the camera.  It's just that the Hubby has a bad habit of brushing his teeth in front of this mirror (although he has a full-size mirror in his own bathroom) and splattering the toothpaste all over.  He has since been ORDERED to clean the mirror.
 
Yikes!  I think I look like Dick Lee.  My right eye pupil seems to always, independently of its own accord, point towards the nose.  According to Dick Lee, his eye was like that because he suffered a detached retina.  I wonder whether that happened to me?  Never mind, just admire the bag.

And sorry folks, this bag is NOT for sale.  It's mine, mine, mine.  But if like me, you also like Cath Kidston bags, you can buy from her website at http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/c-477-bags.aspx or wait to see what HSH is going to make in the coming months.  We hope to bring you some Cath Kidston-inspired bags.  Of course, the fabric and styles will be different (we don't want to be sued for copyright infringement) but we think our fabric will capture the spirit and feel of a Cath Kidston bag.

3 comments:

  1. wow! beautiful fabric and I like the sling design! But this is NOT for sale right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trixie said "Aarrgh....who's face is that?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. aiyo u dont look like Dick Lee la !!! much prettier !!

    ReplyDelete