Monday, September 21, 2009

Home Without Stitch

Now, I would like to take a break from writing about crafts to show you something I bought today.  There's still a home element involved, so it should be alright to include this post here, right?


When I was younger, I stayed with my grandma from time to time.  My grandma is super-organised and -neat.  Every morning, she would boil water and fill up a teapot not unlike what I've got above.  Her tea pot would be more colourful, has a raffia string securing the cap and a transparent rubber spout attached.  She would put this teapot on a tray together with some cups.  Throughout the day, she would pour herself, family members and guests water from this teapot.  This tradition has come to represent to me the warmth of home, where there is always drink for the thirsty and a shoulder for the weary (my grandma was on the stout side and I used to find great comfort putting my head on her bosom, my head bobbing whenever she chuckles at one thing or another I said).  Sigh, I miss my grandma.

Nowadays, our drink is straight from our water purifier or bottled water (my mom still pours boiled water into re-cycled ribena glass bottles, although even these are hard-to-come-by with the advent of disposable water bottles).  We no longer know what it is like to serve drinks to one another.  When people come to our house, out comes the packet drinks.  So, I decided to get myself this teapot set, as a reminder of the warmth and hospitality of home.

I also got myself another teapot set but that's a story for another day.

Lim's Art and Crafts is having their annual storewide 30%-off sale (35% for DBS cardholders), so I also got some crockery.
 

Don't you think this makes a great dish to serve up fish?  Even the size is just right.

I love both the shape and the prints on this bowl.



But at the end of the day, it's what goes into the bowl that really warms the heart.  Don't you think that this corn-and-carrot soup is perfect for this cool evening?

1 comment:

  1. With the correct use of tableware, the food definitely look more presentable & delicious! I strongly believe that food taste better when served in porcelain, bone china & ceramic.
    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete