Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Ubiquitous Drawstring Bag


In my earlier post, I mentioned that our products are road-tested.  Well, nothing could be more tested than our ubiquitous drawstring bag - used for at least 2 years by no less than 5 persons and expanded and washed countless of times, this bag has proven its versatility and durability time and again.  

I made this bag for myself 2 years ago because I was going through a "bento" phase.  I was obsessed about bringing food from home to the workplace and not just any ol' food, but prettily-and-compactly packed food.  Thus, started my aggressive collection of Lock-&-Lock containers, of all shapes and sizes.  I have one container for fruits, another for snacks, another for the main meal and yet another for my drink.  I soon realised that it was very inconvenient to pack these in plastic bags and the totes or lunch bags I got were unable to fit everything in nicely.  So, I designed something which was compact and yet expandable (I know, oxymoron).  

Friends and family who saw me using the bag begged for one for themselves.  I have since seen these bags used for storing cameras and other electronic gadgets, craft materials, toys, make-up/skincare items, stationery and even underwear!  This was especially useful for a friend who loved to change her handbags.  She stored her essentials in this bag and all she has to do is to transfer this bag from one handbag to another, without forgetting to bring anything (oh I hate it when I forget to bring the office access card - I feel so stranded).

So, due to popular demand, the drawstring bag will be re-produced, in a much-improved 2nd-generation version for our stall.  Here's the prototype which is making its 1st-ever public appearance, on this blog (now, aren't you lucky?). Although, I don't know whether it will be still be around once it makes its physical appearance to friends and colleagues tomorrow. 


   


Like it?  I just received feedback that the drawstrings can double as handles, so I don't need to sew the handles.  What a good idea!  Less work for me.

You know what?  It just occurred to me that this bag could very well start a trend in Raffles Place.  I noticed that Raffles Place women workers like to carry a smaller bag when they go out for lunch.  Recently, many stalls have started selling such smaller bags.  I myself have been searching for the ideal small bag, just for this purpose but to no avail.  Most of the bags are rather stiff and therefore can't fit in my wallet, mobile, ipod, blackberry, tissue paper, sanitiser, office access card and lipstick (I know, call me insecure but I can't go anywhere without these essentials).  But these items will easily fit into this drawstring bag and if the bag ever gets dirty from being used to "chope" seats at the hawker table, I can simply throw it into the wash.  Why didn't I think of that?  Hmm, maybe I should buy the prototype for myself (what?  business is business mah).   




No comments:

Post a Comment