Sunday, September 13, 2009

Our 1st Pre-Orders!

I started learning knitting this year.  I know, I know, not exactly a practical skill as Singapore is a tropical country and winter-wear mass-produced in China is cheap to purchase.  Ah, but that's because you have not been introduced to the wonderful whimsical world of knitted dolls.  Here's introducing you to Jean Greenhowe, knitter extraordinaire http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/booklets.html

My aunty's neighbour knitted my aunty a clown based on Jean's pattern and since I first set eyes on it, I've been begging to learn how to knit one myself.  She finally relented and I embarked on my 1st knitted doll project - a ballerina. 


My teacher's sample doll is red-haired, chubby and cute.  Mine is dark-haired, tall and floppy.  But I love, love her!  I proudly showed her off to my colleagues and started a knitting frenzy in my office.  Now my colleagues are learning to knit their own dolls.  It's just so exciting.  As I said, handmade crafts are unique, so no two dolls will look the same, even if the same pattern is followed.  If and when they finish their dolls (sigh, the cynic reared its ugly head), I'll ask them to allow me to post photos of them on this blog. 

Anyway, not everyone will sacrifice their sleep to knit their own dolls.  Or some, just because they are guys and therefore needlework-challenged, just prefer that others make the dolls for them.  We've received our 1st three pre-orders!  So, now I have an excuse to knit other dolls from Jean's collections.  In the coming months, I hope to be able to knit another ballerina, an elf and a pirate. 


I can hardly wait to see the finished dolls.  One girl and two boys will have new friends come Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. An ideal & wonderful gift for all ballerinas....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have wedding couple dolls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is coming. I hope to see some santa dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I hope to start making some snowmen and elves dolls. Christmas comes early at Home Stitch Home.

    ReplyDelete