Monday, September 21, 2009

The Mushroom House

My mom and my sister also got swept along by my friends' and my crafting fun.  They decided to combine forces and produced  ... The Mushroom House...

My sister passed this box to me at church this morning.  I was amused by the box illustration, hand-drawn by none other than my 7-year-old niece.  By the way, she has been designated our stall manager.  Even at this tender age, she has the makings of a shrewd businesswoman, taking detailed notes of all our products, costing and pricing.  She has even designed some items for us to produce.  That little girl is a veritable slave-driver, I tell you.

I opened the box with trepidation - I have heard so much about their plans and have from time to time, caught glimpses of their work-in-progress.

  
What are these?

Ooooooo..... look at this cutey...


 
Yikes!  We have an invasion of the shrooms!  (Actually, some of us at the back are toadstools).  I like :) 


These are meant to be pin cushions but you can make them out to be anything you want.  


There's a sad story behind the making of these mushrooms, involving the sacrifice of one small boy.  You see, the mushrooms are supposed to be stuffed with cotton wool.  But my sister didn't have any at hand.  It then dawned on her that her son sleeps with this heart-shaped stuffed toy which is fluffy with ... you guess right, cotton wool! She hinted and sighed, and the little boy with a soft-heart-for-his-mother volunteered to sacrifice the arms of this toy.  My mom did some major surgery and cut off the arms of his toy and took out the cotton wool.  Now, everyone is happy.  The cotton wool was enough to stuff 5 shrooms.


Don't you love the embroidery?  They're so delicate.  My mom has many years of sewing and she is an expert in embroidery. 

And finally, here's a comparison for size:-
 


As you probably have noted, there are only 5 mushrooms in all and everyone of them is different.  So, if you love them, grab them while you can!

7 comments:

  1. These mushrooms are so adorable! I want one too! Please "chope" for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow the mushrooms are so lovely.. yes, yes, i want to grab one before they are all taken up..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you have just made my mom and sis very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for yr great support ladies! We're inspired and will continue to do more felt projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Home Stitch Home, I hve received my mushroom today. Thks for the prompt delivery service:) Wow.. look at the embroidery, they are really so delicate!!! Its unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Jasmine. My sis is just glad that someone likes her craft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are indeed adorable; but my heart goes out to the small boy boohoo ..

    ReplyDelete