Sunday, October 18, 2009

Knitting Revealeth Much

When I decided to learn knitting, it was with the intention of learning a new skill and of cultivating the virtue of patience (and not making money which some of you may think.  Tsk, I'm insulted.  I'm not always about money, you know).  I didn't know that in the process, I will learn a lot about myself.  And in starting my colleagues on this same journey, I have learnt much about them.  They must be glad that I don't do their performance evaluation (yup, it's that time of the year again), although they all passed with flying colours, in my view.


You have already met Chester the Chef, Valerie the Ballerina, Henry the Fireman, Lady Leticia, Miss Valentine, Superkid, Charlie the Clown, Dolly the Nurse and Bella the Ballerina - all first-time efforts by my colleagues and friends.  Now, let me show you The Bride and Groom.

This lovely couple was made by LMA, the most persevering and resourceful knitter of the lot.  Starting with ZERO knitting experience, she was introduced to the very basic knit-and-purl by me and learnt the rest from Youtube.  Tampering her religious reading of the instructions with some innovative substitution, she made this bride and groom in less than a month.  Oh, it was an ardous journey.  She had to knit the bride body-cum-head twice because her tension was initially too tight.  Just when she thought the worst is over, she had to knit the groom's jacket all over again because the instructions were vague and she interpreted it wrongly.  A lesser mortal would have given up but nope, not her.  So let's give her and this pair a standing ovation!  Clap...clap...clap....wolf-whistle...yippee!....bravo!....for she's a jolly good fellow.... oh when the saints go marching in..... zippidy-dooda-zippidy-day...my oh my what a wonderful day....   (yes, mine is that kind of blog - all unbridled emotions)


Another colleague who has been no less persevering is SMH.  The poor girl must have felt so conned by me when I encouraged her to knit this.


After all, how complicated can this be?  It's a snowman to be hung on a christmas wreath. The colours are basic and the shape made up of small ovals.  Ah, but that's the problem, isn't it? Although basically white, the snowman was adorned with a colourful scarf and cap.  SMH ended up having to get the biggest collection of different-coloured yarn to make something so small.  As for the shape!  Don't even get started.  The tiny little ovals have to be separately knitted and joined.  It's all very "niggly" and "fiddly".  For something one-quarter the size of all the other dolls, it took the longest to be completed.  The process was just so tedious.  I'm impressed that at the end of it all, the snowman still looked white.  If I had been the one knitting this, the snowman would look most melted and slushy.


Teehee, don't you like the photo-setting for this snowman.  It was cheographed by SMH's daughter and looked like a scene from Winter Sonata.  How appropriate.


Still to come, a Christmas tree angel and a toy soldier by 1st-time knitters.  Huge-a** dolls by 2nd-time knitters.  I'm so very proud to be associated with these enterprising and creative gals.  Not to be left behind, I also have a pirate on the needle and hope to be able to show you something next week.  Akan Datang...

1 comment:

  1. LMA's 1st knitting project is this wedding couple!! It's unbelievable!! I really admire her perseverance n patience. I wonder if she has any nightmare knitting this couple? She she be voted for the most outstanding knitter.

    ReplyDelete